What is the EU Disability Card?
The EU Disability Card has been taken into use in Finland in 2018. Persons with disabilities can use the card both in Finland and in other EU member states to easily prove their disability or need of assistance when, for example, travelling by public transport or participating in sports or culture events. The EU Disability Card is voluntary and cannot be used to obtain social benefits. A fee of 10 euros is charged when the card is issued.
This universal card will allow service providers to develop their services. Persons with disabilities can be taken into consideration better than before.
The EU Disability Card is similar in all the European countries in which it is taken into use. It contains a photo of the card holder, text in braille, and a hologram ID. On the back side, it is possible to include symbols and a QR code, in which users can store information about their need for help and support. Some of the persons entitled to use the card can have the symbol A (assistant) included on their card.
Who can apply for the EU Disability Card?
You don’t need a separate entitlement decision to be able to apply for the EU Disability Card. You can apply for the EU Disability Card if you have a valid decision that has been issued to you earlier. You will be eligible to apply for the card if you have been granted any of the following benefits or services:
- Kela’s disability allowance for persons under 16 years
- Kela’s disability allowance for persons aged 16 years or over
- Kela’s care allowance for pensioners
- Interpreting services for persons with a hearing impairment (A)
- Interpreting services for persons with hearing and visual impairments (A)
- Interpreting services for persons with a speech impairment (A)
- Official agreement on care by a family member (A)
- Transport services under the Act on services and support for persons with disabilities
- Support for mobility (transport services) under the Social Welfare Act
- Assistance with transport (A)
- Residential services under the Act on services and support for persons with disabilities (A)
- Personal assistance (A)
- Day activity
- Special social service plan and related services (A)
- Visual Impairment Card (A)
- Decision on special support (A)
(A) = the card will include the letter A for assistant to prove the need of an assistant or an accompanying support person.